Sunday, February 12, 2017

The Start

Hey All,


Well this is the first week of my journey. There has been some ups and downs in it. Not every day has been a 100% but I can say that I tried.  I think my biggest issue this week is finding the time I need to get everything done. I have to find the time in the day to be able to cook, work, excise and sleep. Time management is not my strong point and I know that there are people who do this everyday in their lives.


This week I am really just spending time preparing myself and my family for the changes I am going to be making.  I have started to get my kitchen stocked up on the foods that I will need for the weeks to come.  I am looking for recipes that are healthy and my family will enjoy. I also need to find recipes that I can cook ahead or cook in the crockpot. Today I am making a big batch of asian chicken Lettuce wraps.  I thought this would be great for lunches all week and snacks. I will add the recipe below.

I have another challenge to face and overcome. I have issues with my lower back. This stops me from going to a gym or long walks.  My challenge is how can I get some exercise in to help the weight removal.  I go to physical therapy for my lower back so I am going to ask if there is anything I can do until my back is strong enough for a workout.  I am sure that this is just one of many challenges I will come up against and I will find a way to over come them all.


I wish you all a wonderful week!
~Julie

You can find my video from last week
You can follow day to day on instagram @jgweightloss or email





This week I made Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
made in slow cooker

Nonstick cooking spray
2 pounds uncooked ground chicken breast
3 green onions
1 8ounce can water chestnuts drained & chopped
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup froozen shelled edamame
4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese-style hot mustard
2 teaspoons reduced-soduim teriyaki sauce
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 14.5oz can reduced-soduim chicken broth
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
12 leaves butterhead (bibb or Boston) lettuce or
iceberg lettuce
Asian chili sauce (optional)
Sesame seeds (optional)

1. Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet; cook until no longer pink, breaking up meat as it cooks. Thinly slice white parts of green onions and cut green parts into slivers.
2. In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker combine chicken, white parts of green onions, water chestnuts, carrots, edamame, soy sauce, mustard, teriyaki sauce, vinger and pepper. Add broth. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-2 1/2 hours.
3. Strain mixture, discarding cooking liquid. Stir hoisin sauce and the green onion slivers into chicken mixture. Serve with lettuce leaves and if desired, Asian chili sauce and sesame seeds.

Servings 6 (2 small lettuce wraps each)
Per serving - 248 cal, 5g total fat (0g sat fat) 125mg chol., 581mg sodium, 13g carb. (3g fiber, 6g sugars), 46g pro exchanges: 1.5 vegetable, 0.5 carb., 6 lean meat
from Diabetic Slow cooker mag 12/2015

This time when I made this I cooked all of it on the stove top and let it simmer for about 90 minutes. I did not add the edamame but I did add diced green peppers.



2 comments:

  1. Such a great accomplishment of being in the right mind frame to make it happen. You have so much to be proud of in your first week Julie. Preparation is the key to success. You are dedicated in your approach. I Love the idea of lettuce wraps, so refreshing. Keep up the dedication, accountability blog and reaching out to your supportive network. I'm also glad that you mentioned that it wasn't 100% perfect, because you're right! It doesn't have to be perfect to be considered a successful week or to be an inspiration to others and yourself. :-) Keep up the great effort. So proud of you Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it, Julie. We are rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete